Best of the Best: Greater Than the Sum—Multiple Adversities in Children’s Lives, with Dr. Sherry Hamby
Greater Than the Sum—Multiple Adversities in Children’s Lives (originally “Mending the Tears of Violence”) is the third in a three-part series of best-of-the-best episodes. Adversity and violence are common in kid’s lives. The cumulative burden creates a lifelong vulnerability to physical and psychological issues. So how do we help kids thrive? What strengths are most important? Sherry Hamby, research professor of psychology at the University of the South, discussed trauma’s cumulative impact and how teachers, parents, and advocates can help kids.
- Adversity and violence (2:02)
- Polyvictimization, dose response (7:20)
- Resilience, polystrengths (12:30)
- Symptom relief is not well-being (20:39)
- Important strengths (23:08)
- Recovering positive affect (30:14)
- Helping kids (35:30)
Transcript to come.